Have you heard that diabetes can cause oral health ailments capable of damaging your smile? Fortunately, diabetes can be treated to make sure your smile remains healthy. Here are a few tips about diabetes and its effect on your oral hygiene:
– Approximately 10% of the US population has diabetes, as it is much more common than you think, and thus dentists are proficient in helping assist those with diabetes properly with their oral health care.
– Diabetes can lead to less saliva and cause dry mouth symptoms, which can increase your chances for tooth decay and gum disease.
– Diabetes can increase your risk for a delayed recovery time with any oral ailments you may suffer from.
– Infections such as gum disease can contribute to a higher amount of blood sugar, which in turn makes diabetes more difficult to handle.
– By doing both regular dental visits and following a great oral hygiene routine, you can improve the quality of your oral health care if you are suffering from diabetes.
If you are showing signs of poor oral health related to diabetes, come visit Sandston Comprehensive Dentistry for treatment today. With the helpful support of Dr. E. Alexander White & Bradford R. Thweatt and our wonderful team at our dentist office in Sandston, Virginia, we can repair your smile. To schedule an appointment, call us at 804-737-4444. We would be glad to take care of any oral health care needs you may have.